Photography vs console video games: The better long term investment?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,155
Like?
Re: Photography vs console video games: The better long term investment?
In reply to Cameranoobie, 10 months ago

Cameranoobie wrote:

My biggest concern with photography is the long term rewards.

Like I said, Ive always had an interest for photography, its just that Ive always put it on the back burner and never really pursued it until just over a year ago. Yes, the fact that i was so heavily invested into video games, most definitely play a large part of that.

But I have friends who are prof. photographers and they always tell me that, photography isnt worth the investment (money wise) unless you plan on doing it profiesssionally. As in having your own business and making money from it.

As others have said, there's a big difference between expenditure and investment.  If you want to earn money then what you spend is an investment and it's a poor one if you earn less than you spend.  And that includes the value of your time: if you could earn more in a different enterprise it's still a poor investment even if you show a small profit.

A hobby isn't an investment; what you spend on it is expenditure.  You spend money on lots of things, some for necessities and some for pleasure.  The only question about spending on pleasure is whether you feel you've got enough pleasure for what you've spent.  Time spent on a hobby doesn't matter - a big reason why we have hobbies is to give us something to do.

Professionals don't do things for pleasure so this consideration isn't in their thinking.  The worst people in the world to advise about expenditure on a hobby are professionals in the same field.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow