Who is at fault for the waxy skin tones? Locked

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,400Gear list
Re: Who is at fault for the waxy skin tones?
In reply to mistermejia, 7 months ago

I have not read all of the replies, so I hope this is not redundant.  If so please forgive me.  Usually I shoot RAW only.  However, I did photograph my granddaughter at ISO 6400 using RAW plus jpeg.  Sure enough the skin had plastic like skin tones.

So I am curious.  What was the setting for the noise reduction for those who have experienced this.  My setting was zero.  However, zero does not mean the noise reduction is turned off.  Indeed with my X-E1, I did some shots at a museum at ISO 6400. The jpegs showed no noise while there was quite a bit of noise in the RAW files.  So even when set to zero, the noise reduction was turned on.

So if you go to the menus you will find that the noise reduction ranges from -2 to +2 with zero in the middle.  Has anyone tried setting the noise reduction to -2 to see is the noise reduction is completely turned off ant that setting?

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
NRNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow