Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Marketing Hyperbole
In reply to gaussian blur, 9 months ago

gaussian blur wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Is it fair to call a 15MP Bayer sensor camera 15MP when much of the color is interpolated?

Yes, because technically MP is not a measure of (color) image resolution.

But higher color resolution equals more resolution, resolution in terms of detail.

Completely wrong.

Humans can't see colour detail anywhere near as well as they can luminance detail.

You can blur the colour in an image by quite a bit before it becomes noticeable.

Then find me a 15MP Bayer sensor camera that can even come close to the 15MP Foveon.

It's fair to say that when the average consumer hears that a camera has more resolution they are also thinking about more detail.

For luminance detail, not chroma.

The consumer simply expects to see more detail. I refer you also to my previous comment.

After all, the implication is that a higher MP sum will yield a higher resolution photo than something less.

And for most cameras of a similar type in similar conditions this is approximately but not exactly true. But if you compare a cell phone to a DSLR in dim light it will not be true.

To make it easier for you to follow and not deviate, lets at least keep the sensors similar in size.

Then why do you keep comparing a DP camera to a Nikon D800?

Where am I doing that? As far as I recall someone else brought up the D800. Put aside your irrelevant and silly personal bias against me and you'll be able to see that.

If that were true then a 15MP Bayer sensor camera should be able to get comparable image quality to a 15MP Foveon sensor.

Note you are switching from "resolution" to "image quality" in this sentence. Does a Foveon sensor have 15MP of "image quality" (or resolution) at ISO 3200 under tungsten light?

Since it is well known, even by the detractors and haters, that Sigma cameras are ISO 100-400 cameras it makes no sense for you to be talking about high ISO.

Yes it does, because that's what people want to use. High ISO opens up so many new opportunities, and they can still use lower ISOs if they want.

No, that's not what all "people want."

Can a mosaic camera resolve 15MP of detail with the right target and algorithm? It seems that 15MP is a max theoretical resolution not a guarantee.

I have no idea what you are talking about and how that relates to anything I have said.

You have no idea what you're talking about, let alone anyone else.

Last time I checked, you are and "you're" are two forms of the same thing.

Others can also think for themselves.

For the average consumer neither is helpful in the presence of the other.

The average consumer has no interest in Foveon-based cameras so the exception is of mainly pedantic interest.

And why don't they?

Because there are a wealth of issues, as well as not being sold in very many stores.

So how does that prevent someone that values the best image quality at ISO 100-400 from enjoying their cameras?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow