Any news about FZ200 successor?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Kawika Nui
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Re: Any news about FZ200 successor?
In reply to needmoretoys, 8 months ago

Thanks to needmoretoys for pointing out several truths that are so often ignored.

My only question is: a few years ago, manufacturers sensibly realized that adding more pixels to 1/2.3in sensors was a losing proposition.  IQ suffered.  (The disastrous FZ100, which I owned and sent back, comes to mind.)  It has seemed that about 12MP was all you could fit on a 1/2.3in sensor and still get reasonable IQ.

Now, suddenly, even Panasonic (which had the good sense to drop back to 12MP with the excellent FZ150--which I own and love--and FZ200) is creating high (16 or more) MP superzooms.

I get the theory: if you want 50x or 60x, you need more pixels to retain a corresponding level of detail.

My question is: have they come up with new ways to suppress noise and increase efficiency of light collection to match the 25% increase in pixel count?  If 14MP didn't work out a few years ago, is it possible that 16MP works out now?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow