If you could only have one lens, what would it be?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,790Gear list
Like?
Re: If you could only have one lens, what would it be?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 6 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I wouldn't count on a stabilized Zeiss Alpha (ZA) prime though, not even at 85mm. It will take a non Zeiss lens (as is the case in Canon's world too, non-L lenses) to have stabilization at shorter FL. In case of Canon, the shortest stabilized L prime is: 200/2.

Indeed. Which is a bit of a shame, as stabilization does indeed work great even at short FLs too, evidence the SEL1018.

Given that I see (perhaps this explains/debunks everything) the E-mount (only referring to the APS-C) as heading further toward the manifestation of practical performance in a wide spectrum of common everyday photography, I am hoping that somebody in Sonyland will soon relent with this whole "Zeiss is about ultimate optical (read: theoretical) performance and stabilization (unless absolutely needed) compromises that" and see that even Canon is stabilizing their 35mm FoV prime, red-ring-be-damned.  So maybe a G?

Anyways. Wishful thinking on my part. As I said in another post... I think it'll be a few years before we see another ~24mm for the E-mount.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
easyNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow