Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dartmoorman
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
Asking myself what I really want.
9 months ago

Owning the G1x from the day it was first on sale I was never in any doubt that I would buy its successor. However, coupled with the viewfinder, which I would want, the G1X mk2 would set me back the best part of £1000.  I know I will not get too much for the G1X when I sell or part exchange it.

Then I started thinking, what if I kept my G1X, which is my only camera, and bought something different with my £1000? Something that would expand my currently limited photographic abilities. Something I could use locally, or when I went on holiday when weight and lens changing would not be a problem, while retaining the G1X for trekking, which was my reason for buying it in the first place.

One camera I have always been drawn towards is the Pentax K5 11 and coupled with the second generation Sigma 18-250 I would get change from my £1000 plus all the bells and whistles this combination brings with it.

The price of this unit when compared to its price when new makes it good value for money and would present me with new photographic challenges and opportunities.

Once I spend this money on whatever I choose there will be no second chance in that it will be several years before I would be able to afford to change it.

While the specs. of the G1X Mk2 are excellent, (albeit we have yet to see the reviews), I am inclined to think that Canon, because of the price of the new model and because I have the G1X, have presented me with an opportunity to look around to see exactly what else I could get for the same money.

So, what do I want? I thought I wanted the G1X Mk2. Now I'm not so sure.

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow