Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,040Gear list
Like?
So, where is the SX60HS and the FZ250?
8 months ago

I'm more curious than I am disappointed.  I'm perfectly happy with the FZ200, and many I know are delighted with their SX50HS.  Still, I wonder.

We do know that companies are cutting back on development costs and losing their sales volume in the low end models.  So, could it be that Canon and Panasonic have decided that their respective cameras are "good enough" with respect to a cost/performance ratio.

By that I mean they could improve the cameras; but development will be expensive, and at the required selling price, volume will be down.  So, in the end, the income from an improved model might be lower than sticking with what they already have.

Oddly, I see the SX50HS and the FZ200 as being more complementary models rather than direct competitors.  A case of focal length Vs F#.  Although, I'd bet the SX50HS outsells the FZ200 by at least 2:1.  Certainly why Panasonic introduced the FZ70 with a 1200 mm lens.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow