Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,010Gear list
Like?
Re: Ray stop………
In reply to JF69, 7 months ago

JF69 wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

How does that make him wrong? If you own more than 5K worth of lenses, I'd submit that YOU'RE not the masses either. It is the relative entry level of the highest level of camera that most of the ELITE will ever consider (full frame 35mm). Yeah, there are a few, mostly pros, who will buy the occasional medium format, but if you're buying full frame, you're not the masses, almost by definition...

……making my decision process more difficult, your great work with the Dƒ is not making it any easier

(Thanks for putting your perspective into this thread)

I haven't made the leap for a D610 or Dƒ yet because in my line of work great SOOC JPEGs with great skintones under a wide variety of lighting conditions is a must.

Studio/portrait work is also part of the equation, & portability is a big factor, otherwise I would've already sprung for a D800e by now. The Fuji S bodies I use already give me all that, icluding JPEGs with amazing tonality & tone curve SOOC;
except FF, rez (much less important than one thinks) & modern DSLRs' high ISO capability.

Your excellent work posted here got me thinking about the Dƒ too, even though I would love to have the U1 & U2 settings & a bit more rez (MP are much less important than many would think in my job).

If you would like to give me feedback re. JPEG output of any of these 2 cameras, or how much if any PP was done (eg to this image of yours or this, or any image preferably with people) I would appreciate if you so wish.

First off, nothing I was saying is in ANY WAY intended to question your choice or anyone else's choice of a D610 or a Df or any other full frame camera - I'm just arguing who constitutes "the masses"... From what I can tell (never having shot with a D610), they're both incredibly good cameras with slightly different tradeoffs. I'm much more into the low light sensitivity and generally more forgiving nature of the lower res Df sensor than the higher resolution of the D610 sensor, but that's not a better or worse - just a personal preference that makes the Df a better fit for me.

Second, thanks so much for your kind words. I put a few more new images up on my Flickr page from a treacherous walk I took on the slippery melting ice this morning, but I don't think there are any people in them.

Third, those, and most any images I take with the Df are raw images processed first in Lightroom and then enhanced somewhat in Color Efex Pro (Silver Efex Pro for B&W). Some of the processing is pretty heavy handed, some is pretty mild, often doing little more than adding a border and maybe a slight vignette.

I did do some un-intentional jpeg shooting on my first big outing with the camera when I'd set up a second bank of shooting settings but forgot to change the image type to raw. Here are a few jpegs from that day, with people in them:

Edit - let me add one more - the only shot of white folks that I left in color that day, for no particular reason all of the other white faces I shot I ended up processing in B&W. I hadn't noticed that the previous four were all of people of color... Maybe I'm finally getting to that "color-blind" place we all like to think we are...

None of those are SOOC - all have been somewhat processed in Color Efex Pro. I think the first two were barely processed and the third a bit more, and the fourth more heavily. The fifth I probably didn't do too much to or I'd have probably toned down the guy's orange hoodie. I don't recall specifically messing with the colors, but some of the filters I was playing with probably had some impact on the skin tones. I'm not an "accuracy at all costs" shooter by any means, as is probably VERY obvious from my stuff. But I try not to make the people look too much like Martians!

I'm probably not the best person to talk to about SOOC skin tones under a variety of lighting. I find the Df quite good, but I almost always shoot in raw and if something is off, it's as often as not a WB issue and easily fixed with in raw, but probably less so if you're working with a jpeg...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow