Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253Gear list
Like?
Re: EM5 outdated tech
In reply to Thomas Kachadurian, 5 months ago

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

Terry Breedlove wrote:

I loved my em-5 with 17 mm f 1.8 bẻfore it was stolen a couple weeks ago- I would buy another one in a heart beat accept the technology is getting left behind. Even the new baby OMD EM10 has features its big brother EM5 doesn't. Yet I want the weather sealing of the EM5 so the EM10 isn't for me. Problem is i can't see Oly updating the EM5 with wifi and focus peaking etc until they also have a new imaging chip to put in it. I don't see them doing that until the EM-1 has been out for sometime. Maybe a year or more. I do not want the EM-1 because i can get the same iq with the much cheaper EM-5 plus it is ugly. I don't want the EM-10 because of no weather sealing. Any thoughts on the future of the EM-5 update?

Outdated? Hardly.

It's still the same great camera that is now LOTS cheaper and easy to get.

Do you need wifi? Did you say before, if I only had wifi I could make better photos. Was the AF so bad that you missed focus and peaking will make you a better photographer?

I doubt it.

Old tech is an EP-1 or G1, and both still can make pretty good photos.

If you ask me it's the perfect time to buy an EM5

Tom

-- hide signature --

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

+1.  I don't consider wi-fi, focus peaking, lack of convenient mysets even marginally essential features.  If anything, most current cameras have way too many features for my taste.  I have both the E-M5 and the E-M1 along with an assortment of lenses that I have culled down to five.

I chose the E-M5 over the E-M1 for our recent 11 day trip to Merida, Mexico because it was smaller and blended in perfectly with the multitude of superzooms and point and shoots that most of the locals were using.  I didn't feel the least bit IQ deprived.  Just slightly less ergonomic and convenient to use vs the E-M1.

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow