Photography vs console video games: The better long term investment?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cameranoobie
Regular MemberPosts: 310
Like?
Photography vs console video games: The better long term investment?
8 months ago

Which do you think is the better long term investment with the bigger payoff and why?

Reason I ask?  Well because over the past 7-8 years in the past gen of console gaming, I've spent easily 10-15K on console gaming.  Games whether its renting or buying, accesories, online memberships, newer updated console models etc.  Yes, one could look at that money and immediately notice that, that would buy you a helluva lot of high end camera gear.  It also would buy me a nicer car!  If I could go back in time today and have the choice to have all that extra money saved up in the sacraficie of giving up the last gen consoles experience, sadly I would.  Do I regret it?  As many great memories and games Ive had over the past 8 years, most definitely yes.

I was a diehard gamer for about 5 years where I would buy a $60 game once a week, sometimes two games a week.  It may not seem like a lot at first, but over time it adds up trust me.  I will admit, I went through a phase where I was heavily addicted to video games.  Speaking from my experience, it is one of the most rotten most depressing undescribable feelings in the world.  There were many MANY dark weekends and days that I would spend hours on end playing video games.  Thankfully, I was able to get myself out of it, but thinking back, I felt it took a lot longer than it should have taken.  I can gaurentee that I would never let myself get into this state ever again.

Well I am in my mid 30s now and have noticed over the past 3 years that my priorities in life have changed and my interest in console gaming has significantly dropped.  My game time, my interest, motivation, curiousity has slowly been on a decline over the years.  Not saying that Im not into video games anymore, but some times people hit a certain part in their life when they have to evaluate their life and what to invest time into short and long term, what their goals are etc.  The big question is, the long term benefits and pay offs.

For example, over the past two years, Ive much more physically active and spend a lot of time in the gym now.  The biggest reason for this?  Simply put, the long term payoff.  You feel better mentally and physically, and also look better mentally and physically.  I cant say that video games has anything even remotely close to this kind of payoff long term.

There was a point last year where i sat down and thought long and hard over the past 8 years and said .... I didnt realize how much money i spent on gaming over the past 8 years.  And what was the payoff or benefit that I had today?  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  It didnt make me a better person, or a person with more skills and personal assets that can play a positive role in my life.  It didnt give me skills that I could branch off in other areas of life, like work, or self confidence.

And that leads me to photography, aside from me DO having an interest in it, I feel it is a more beneficial long term hobby with more positive rewards.  It also, lets you see how beautiful life really is.  You get to interact with a whole new world of people, and what their style is, preferences etc.  Personally, I find it very fascinating learning about others styles.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow