Decisions, Decisions: 10-24mm zoom or 14mm prime

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,289Gear list
Like?
Re: Decisions, Decisions: 10-24mm zoom or 14mm prime
In reply to jrk, 10 months ago

Buy what you need, but don't buy something just because it is on sale and may not get enough use to justify it. IMO a rainy day or just in case purchase is not the best idea.

If the lens cost $900 whatever it normally does would you still buy this lens. If not, you do not really need it based on what you shoot.

IMO, many get obsessed with a couple hundred dollars savings when you have a system that costs as much as a Full Frame DSLR but the time you get done with a few lenses. I think the reasoning should be different, unless one has money to burn and does not care about re-sale value if you need to sell the lens later.

I would think if you were going on vacation tomorrow what you would take and what would stay home. The Prime is smaller and less weight than a zoom, but the zoom is more versatile.

The one stop difference on a wide angle lens does not matter. Your not getting a shallow DOF with a wide angle lens unless your very close to the subject wide open and even then 90% of the time one never shoot everything thing at max aperture.

List at least 5 to 10 things/subject matter you shoot with a given lens and you will see that 18-55 or 23 or 35 prime get most use for most everything. A zoom lens being faster to compose the shot. I think the 10-24 is worth a look and if you sell the 14 mm to help pay for the 10-24 you are not getting $700 for a used 14 mm, maybe $400. I see it as redundancy and buying a lens twice if the lens is just to hold you over type purchase.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow