Why 'more or less stopped using ISO'?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,760
Like?
Re: Why 'more or less stopped using ISO'?
In reply to Iliah Borg, 10 months ago

Iliah Borg wrote:

D Cox wrote:

edhannon wrote:

The way I use ETTR is:

• Determine through testing how many stops above the meter reading saturation of the first channel occurs. I do this by taking images of a gray card at various exposures and plotting the raw values of the three channels.
  • With this knowledge I spot meter the important highlights - the ones I need detail in.
  • I use Zone System to "place" important highlights below saturation.

Spectral highlights do not need to be placed below saturation - only those that I need to retain detail.

Note that I only do ETTR when I have a difficult subject brightness range and need the precision. Most of the time Av or Tv modes are adequate.

That sounds like an excellent approach for difficult subjects.

Obviously the first bullet depends on the colour of light, which is important and makes the approach not as universal as one might think.

An alternative might be simply to bracket.

Bracketing is not an option when the subject moves and one wants a particular phase of movement.

Well, I don't think careful spot metering and Zone System are practical for fast moving subjects either. For such, I would just let the camera decide: the results are usually pretty good.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow