Remeber, Sharpness is not everything !

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Sheld
Senior MemberPosts: 1,899
Like?
Re: Ansel Adams, he could stop down to F/64
In reply to brecklundin, 10 months ago

brecklundin wrote:

I don't recall where I read it but there is a quote from Ansel Adams when he was asked to help design or was simply asked what needed to be done to make a "perfect" lens. His response was what sort of describes this issue. It was, and I am quoting from memory, "...no need, it has already been done..." or something to that effect.

Adams was saying that the lenses he had were already perfect. Look at his results and even though he was a master in the darkroom, it's hard to argue against the sentiment in that comment.....

Ansel Adams could stop down to F/64, where all lenses are exactly diffraction limited and more or less perfect. This is because was using an 8"x10" negative, and a tripod to allow slow shutter speeds.

We're shooting APS-C sensors, with complex zoom lenses, in color, where stopping down past F/8 limits resolution, for 16megapixel sensors. If you want to make Ansel Adam sized landscape photos on APS-C, you better have a darn good lens to begin with, stop down to F/8 (or maybe F/5.6), and damn well know your lenses characteristics, back focusing, curvature, distortion, CA's, all of that.

For shallow DOF portaits, a 300mm F/11 on 4x5 is about equivalent to an APS-C 50mm F/1.8.... it is easier to make a black and white lens work good at F/11 than it is to have a color lens at F/1.8, but I imagine large format shallow DOF focusing is really hard....

- Shel, my photos, http://www.sheltx.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow