This thread is locked.
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,752Gear list
Mike
In reply to Mike in Kansas, 5 months ago

Mike in Kansas wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Is it Fuji itself ?? Or could this be a SABOTAGE thing from the sensor maker itself??

Does Fuji actually make this sensors, or do they buy them from Sony or someone else? I am just curious because i CAN'T believe that the jpegs are changing so much with the new sensors, i couldn't possibly believe that Fuji is just bypassing or ignoring this skin tone issue.

I just moved from nikon to get away from plastic looking skin tones, and Fuji's new cameras are all coming out like this now??? I don't get it.

RAW files look great so it's not a sensor issue.

Sal

Right. Then is pretty obvious then. That's pretty sad and i hope Fuji does correct this soon. I'm in no hurry because i just bought my X-E1, but if fuji continuous making the jpeg output like this i am just going to have to move to another camera manufacturer later on.

I am not sure how much Fuji VALUES the plain jpeg output that the first original cameras output, like the XE1, X-Pro1. Even the X10 has pretty damn good skin tones. But if Fuji continues like this, i might as well go back to Nikon and get a D7200, which is going to have much more fire power to begin with, and the waxy skin tones won't make a difference.

Or shoot RAW.

I think the term "correct" is strong, as it implies that there is something "wrong". Maybe the Fuji engineers and the users that they surveyed feel that the high amount of skin smoothing in the JPEGs at high ISO is preferable to a sharper albeit noisier image. I don't think there is an "error" in their JPEG engine; it was a conscious choice when moving from the X-E1 to the X-E2 to change the JPEG processing in higher ISOs to one that is more heavy-handed.

Why would Fuji "ask" a user how to make the IQ?  Isn't Fuji an expert at this?

What would be NICE would be to give the user more control over the amount of skin smoothing / noise reduction that is APPLIED at these higher ISOs, so the in-camera JPEGs look more like the X-E1.

I think you are looking for a conspiracy where there is none...

Yes, that would be nice.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
NRNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow