"But at low ISO nothing can beat this camera." - CEO SIGMA Pt. 2

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
TRIODEROB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,146
Like?
Re: But at low ISO, etc.
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, 10 months ago

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I don't deal in theories or flights of fantasy. If it isn't in the pictures, it doesn't exist.

The statement has been made that the Sigma will outresolve a 24MP DSLR. This is false. Here is the DP1 losing out to the D7100. The D7100 file is also 62% larger, which will allow a much smoother picture overall at any given size.

Imaging Resource Test shots

Moving on up to a very moderate ISO 800, a setting everyone would find essential for day to day photography we find this:

ISO 800 Imaging Resource

What is up with that?

As we approach the resolution limits of each camera, some very strange things start to happen with the Sigma. Lines which should be in one place get moved to another, thickening and thinning willy nilly. The D7100 is not immune either, but is altogether more coherent at maintaining an orderly taper:

DP1

D7100

This characteristic is in my view essential for relaxed, non-crunchy presentation of fine detail.

The AA filtered D7000 does not fare as well, clearly losing to the Sigma in terms of resolution at ISO 100:

DP1/ D7000

But at 24MP, the overwhelming number of pixels puts the D7100/D5300/K3 etc. well ahead of the Sigma in every way. With these test chart results, we can pretty accurately place the Sigma where it belongs on the resolution totem pole: 18MP unfiltered with high microcontrast (too high, I would say) standing in for actual somewhat higher resolution.

No one should take my word for any of this. Do your own research with the tools provided. Just don't show us half-a$$ed snapshots and expect to be taken seriously.

all this is great - but I have used both and like the Sigma better

when printed out the Sigma has a nicer "look"

here are images that I took with the no AA filter 7100 Nikon - I took it back.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow