Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NeverEnding
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
HELP!! First Monopod setup.
10 months ago

I have never owned a tripod or a monpod in the past, and I have decided to improve my setup and decided it was time for me to purchase my first monopod.

The reason in choosing a monopod over a tripod is its ease of accessibility.

Though I would love to be shooting macro and landscape photos in the future, when I am able to purchase lenses for the occasion, I do a lot of street photography, and decided that the monopod with a ball head would be good enough.

I currently own a Canon 5D Mark II, and generally shoot with the 135mm f2L or 70-20mm f2.8L IS, though now I tend to shoot more with the 70-200mm. I have a battery grip on my 5d Mark II.

I have tried doing some research, but to no avail.

My first question would be, would I be able to attach a quick release plate to my 5D Mark II Body, and use it comfortably and conveniently? Secondly, because I shoot with the 70-200mm, it's obvious I would need to use the tripod collar that came with the lens to attach to the ball head; but I was wondering if and how I would be able to attack the collar to a quick release plate?

I am thinking about purchasing the Sirui P-306 6-Section Aluminum Monopod along with Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head or Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head, though probably the former, given that I would be using this for a while.

But I am limited on funds, and would much rather invest in more glass, but I thought it was time for me to invest more into accessories.

TL;DR

I am thinking about purchasing a monopod and a ball head, don't know if I can attach quick release plate to the 70-200mm for the use with the monopod, don't know if it's comfortable using vertical grip with quick release plate.

-- hide signature --

Side question, I might be purchasing the 85mm 1.2L II for a good steal, and was wondering if it would be worth the money ($1300), or if I should purchase Canon 24-70mm f2.8L I or Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC.

Any critique or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

I am by no means a professional, merely a photo enthusiast, hoping to pursue photography, so I would love any input in making my photography experience better!

Thank you very much in advance.

OH!

Also, I currently have a broken 7D, with an Error 30, and I have contacted Canon and found out I could trade that in for a refurbished Canon 5D Mark III for $2500. Would it be a worthy upgrade to sell my 5D Mark II for the 5D Mark III by trading in the 7D?

The only thing keeping me from purchasing the 5D Mark III is the money, and the accessories invested into the Mark II.
Sorry for so many questions;

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow