"But at low ISO nothing can beat this camera." - CEO SIGMA Pt. 2

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Marketing Hyperbole
In reply to edispics, 10 months ago

edispics wrote:

If anyone is wondering what the Quattro is and how it differs from previous Sigma Foveon attempts, here's a quick look. Reading through this initial attempt to describe what the heck a Quattro is quickly illustrates the Sigma jabberwocky surrounding the Sigma Foveons which makes it so hard to describe and makes it so easy to have endless arguments:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sigma-dp2-quattro/sigma-dp2-quattroA.HTM

Of course there will be those who take issue with the article itself, but others might find it interesting reading.

I read the part on the sensor and it was well written and brings up the concern many current Sigma users have, that while the new sensor will produce an image with larger dimensions it will compromise the resolution of two of the three colors. I have my doubts that it will not be noticeable. If I am right, then the current Sigmas, with the current Foveon sensor, will see Sigma in a terrible situation where the outgoing cameras are more sought after then the replacements.

As for the way Sigma sums up the amount of pixels, it is in fact more accurate than the way Bayer sensors are summed up *if* you are considering resolution as it relates to actual image data being recorded. The fact that they have drastically reduced the sum from 44MP to 29MP shows they are being honest about it.

Is it fair to call a 15MP Bayer sensor camera 15MP when much of the color is interpolated? After all, the implication is that a higher MP sum will yield a higher resolution photo than something less. If that were true then a 15MP Bayer sensor camera should be able to get comparable image quality to a 15MP Foveon sensor. The only accuracy in the way Bayer MP are summed up is in how large the final image will be.

For the average consumer neither is helpful in the presence of the other.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow