Looking for a therapy group for pixel peepers

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
scotbot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for a therapy group for pixel peepers
In reply to darkdirtydwarf, 10 months ago

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

I keep being slightly unhappy with the quality of my images, always pixel peeping and being disappointed by noise, blurred images and lack of detail even using an Ultron 40mm on an A7.

I usually think it's my fault, bad technique or something. By chance I had a close look to one of the few images took in the sun outside few months back and realized:

1) I need better light bulbs in my home

2) I need to get out more (if the sun would shine more often it would be easier to do...).

All this just by checking an image taken with my "old" (but always loyal) NEX5N and the "crappy" SEL16F28...

If you know any therapy group for pixel peepers, please give me the phone number!

Very relevant! I got over this by only looking at the technical details of shots that I thought were otherwise really, really good, ie putting the image before the pixels.

As another poster said, using a smartphone and Instagram / Snapseed etc really brings home that the minor imperfections seen when pixel peeping don't really matter for anyone who has a life to get on with and lives in the real world where photographs are viewed no larger than 1920x1080.

I always show my images to my wife and she is oblivious to technical imperfections and always sheds valuable light on the image itself. Most people don't care about pixel peeping any more than they care about a bit of hiss on a Hendrix or Pink Floyd* recording.

Pixel peeping reminds me of the bad old days when I used to write and record music and saw many utterly talentless bands fussing over a bit of inaudible noise on a recording of their breathtakingly pointless and awful music. See my first point - when you can create really good art then start worrying about the minor technical details.

*pretty rare actually as Alan parson was such an outstanding engineer - a definite decibel peeper.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow