Remeber, Sharpness is not everything !

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Adam Aitken
Senior MemberPosts: 1,469Gear list
Like?
Re: Remeber, Sharpness is not everything !
In reply to Ned-B, 8 months ago

Ned-B wrote:

"I’m always amused by the idea that certain people have about technique, which translate into an immoderate taste for the sharpness of the image. It is a passion for detail, for perfection, or do they hope to get closer to reality with this trompe I’oeil? They are, by the way, as far away from the real issues as other generations of photographers were when they obscured their subject in soft-focus effects."

Henri Cartier-Bresson

Love the quote Ned. Of course Cartier-Bresson was after a different kind of perfection - capturing a moment that seemed spontaneous in composition. I am fascinated by how black and white photographers created depth and contrast and learned how to produce the illusion of sharpness. Our generation are just getting spoiled by the technology and the ease with which we can change color, contrast hue, add any filter we like etc. Many have forgotten about texture, contrast, depth of field, and the actual soul of an image, its meaning, its associations and suggestiveness. Super sharpness in an image can impress, but without the other aspects it is just  - technical.

Adam A

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86405024@N06
'Photography is nothing else than a writing of light' - Eduardo Cadava (and a whole lot of other stuff!)

Adam Aitken's gear list:Adam Aitken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow