Remeber, Sharpness is not everything !

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,585Gear list
Like?
Re: Remeber, Sharpness is not everything !
In reply to leopold, 10 months ago

Hi,

I agree absolutely - there are many lens characteristics in addition to sharpness.  OTOH, for any given task, I think the lens of choice depends a heck of a lot on your uses.....

People have mentioned that portraits may not fare so well if they are overly sharp.  Yes, there, it's not the key to a good image.  However, I'm an old large format man.  I'm interested in landscapes and sometimes architecture and do occasionally print big and sell.  So for my wide angle lenses I'm typically very interested in corner to corner sharpness.  OTOH it's not something that concerns me with longer lenses (say over 50mm FF FOV) because the composition is usually center dominant.  Horses for courses.

Two aspects I do look for in my lenses are lack of distortion and flare resistance.  I like my straight lines straight.  Fish-eyes are anathema!!  And I like my contra-light shots clean and flare free and my included suns and point sources with a nice clear star-burst - sort of 15/4-ish.  The modern religion of fast apertures tends to work against this - one has to hunt down just the right lenses and they're often a bit slower......

Regards, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow