Nikon 35/1.8G (FX) vs Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Flare Comparison (samples even!!)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,147
Like?
Nikon 35/1.8G (FX) vs Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Flare Comparison (samples even!!)
10 months ago

This one's for Reilly D - I spar with him from time to time here, but if it weren't for him and a couple of his waterfall shots, I would have driven right past Latourelle Falls in the Columbia River Gorge and not discovered a really pretty (and fairly obvious) waterfall, so I offer this in thanks.

Pretty obvious which lens (the Nikon) wins this. And this brings up something I've hinted at in my writings. Sigma is making REALLY good lenses. But their coatings, from my experience, are simply not in the same league as the best from Carl Zeiss or Nikon. So while I have personally chosen the sigma 35/1.4 art as my primary studio lens and will switch back and forth between the two for landscape, keep this in mind should Sigma release a 24/1.4 art some day - the wider the lens, the more the chance for flare and contra light, and as good as Sigmas are, they don't handle these situations as well. So, like most in life, there are tradeoffs. Obviously for me, studio work doesn't involve flare situations and the superior sharpness of the Sigma make it the easy choice. But if you like to shoot a lot of backlit stuff for landscape, you might be willing to trafe off some ultimate sharpness for better flare resistance. So it's not always which lens is the sharpest at one distance even... one must look beyond what the test sites and their charts say and explore all characteristics of lenses you are considering.

Nikon top, Sigma bottom. Exposure/raw processing equalized as best to normalize transmissive differences. D800E on Gitzo 5 series tripod with BH-55 ballhead, remote release, live view focus, shutter delay, both at F/9

Note the obvious contrast loss in the center of the frame on the Sigma shot.

Note also the distortion/coverage differences. Camera wasn't moved between shots...

-m

D800E, Nikon 35/1.8G at F/9

D800E, Sigma 35/1.4 Art at F/9

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow