Why no lens uniformity?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
danstroud
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Been wondering about this too
In reply to thomasw333, 5 months ago

I was just thinking about this the other day and part of the confusion here is that some of the better quality lenses, optically, have lesser build quality. I suspect that it has something to do with who is designing or manufacturing the lenses for Olympus/Pany.

One area of frustration for me is that I really do want to have manual focus (snapback), aperture control (as on the forthcoming Pany 15mm), and lens function buttons, but having this on some lenses and not others is sometimes more of an irritation than a help. I'll forget whether I am switched to manual focus ia the snapback ring or via the software settings, etc…

All in all, it's not a big issue, but I think it speaks to the general lack of planning with Oly/Pany and their product lineup. I almost wish that updated versions of lenses were released more frequently to add features to older lenses to keep them up-to-date. Maybe it's for the best so I don't waste more money

danstroud's gear list:danstroud's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow