I don't think the A77 needs to be replaced this year, here is why.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jidery
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
I don't think the A77 needs to be replaced this year, here is why.
7 months ago

Yes this topic has been butchered to death on these forums, but I still feel like it’s worth writing about as it’s such a controversial topic with many differing opinions. Long story short, people are at this point begging Sony to replace the A77, but I can’t understand why.

Let me start by saying that my understanding of a flagship camera is it is supposed to last a long time. So let’s look at a little history from Sony’s competitors.

The total time between the announcement of the D7000 and the D7100 was close to 3 years.

The Canon 7D is well into its 4 year without a replacement.

The A77 took 3.5 years to replace the A700.

Here the A77 stands, at almost exactly 2.5 years since announcement, and people are begging for a new camera to come out. One would expect that a more realistic timeframe for a replacement would be a year from now, pegging its replacement at 3.5 years, just in line with Sony’s short history with their APSC flagships.

But it must be asked, why would Sony be in a rush to replace this camera? Looking at the A77 compared to its current competition, it is still

-The fastest APSC camera on the market

-Easily the highest dynamic range of all APSC cameras

-The highest resolution APSC camera on the market

-A class leading auto focus module

-The best video compared to other APSC flagships

As of now, there isn’t a whole lot of reason for Sony to upgrade, as their main competition still hasn’t caught up.

Maybe its just me, but I really don’t think the A77 needs to be replaced this year. Next year makes much more sense.

jidery's gear list:jidery's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 A3000 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +3 more
Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow