Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,556Gear list
Like?
Quattro sensor - "thicker" not thicker to lower layers
9 months ago

The last thread filled up before I could respond to the last round of answers.

I asked - why would sensitivity of the lower two layers alter if you changed where you were measuring the top layer.

The general response seemed to be a "thicker" layer meant less would fall below.

Problem with response - what can be"thicker" without impacting the response curves of the two lower layers.  If the two lower layers have the same response curve to different wavelengths of light then they must be at exactly the same depth from the very top surface of the sensor - that's fundamentally how the Foveon sensor works, different wavelengths penetrating to different depths of the sensor in a probabilistic manner.

So it doesn't matter how much material you have above the top layer sensors, because the bottom layer sensors will always have the same amount of material above them no matter how you vary the top sensors.  Thus they should always have the same probability of light reaching them, at the same strength.

That is why to me, it's unsatisfactory to say a "thicker" top layer (which I am taking everyone to mean more material above the top layer sensors while maintaining the same distance from the top of the other two layers) stops more light from going through.  The incoming photons have the same probability of reaching different depths of the silicon regardless of where you measure them.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow