For EM-5/E-PM2, do people like Olympus 75-300mm or Panasonic 100-300mm

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Kawika Nui
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?
Re: For EM-5/E-PM2, do people like Olympus 75-300mm or Panasonic 100-300mm
In reply to Michael Meissner, 7 months ago

Michael Meissner wrote:

I was wondering which long lens people like with the Olympus EM-5 (and E-PM2 as backup)? Do people like the Olympus 75-300mm or the Panasonic 100-300mm?

Now, on the EM-5, the Panasonic's IS would need to be turned off (or the camera's IS turned off). On the E-PM2, I can set the camera to favor using lens IS if it has it over sensor based IS. I suspect lens based IS might be more effective than sensor shift.

The Olympus wins out in terms of weight (430g vs 520g), which might be a factor in handling the camera. The Olympus is slightly smaller at minimum zoom (116mm vs 126mm), but I suspect this is to small to matter. The Panasonic is 1/3 stop faster (f/4-5.6 vs. f/4.8-6.7).

For my E-5, I have the Olympus 50-200mm and 70-300mm lenses, but the weight of those lenses and having to use the 4/3rds to micro 4/3rds adapter makes them feel bulky on the E-P2/E-PM2 (I haven't gotten the EM-5 yet), so I'll looking at native micro 4/3rds solutions.

I figure either of the lens will be problematic at the 300mm limit, but for 100-250mm, I'm hoping either of these lenses will give good images in daylight.

I had recently purchased a Stylus1 but I' not as happy with the zoom range, so I'm thinking of returning it. I had originally thought of getting another bridge camera with superzoom (such as SH-50 or SP-100), but I started thinking that perhaps I should get a lens, and just use micro 4/3rds cameras.

I can only speak to the Panasonic 100-300mm lens as used with a GH3. I've found this lens to be quite good for outdoor daylight use. It's not very bright, but under the conditions that doesn't matter. Remember that Pany lenses have the IS in the lens; Oly has IS in the body and not in the lens. You're right that IQ drops off at full zoom, but even at that it isn't bad. This is a heavy lens but you are getting a lot of reach. On the other hand, I would have preferred the extra wide-end range (75mm) but of course I needed the IS in the lens. I use it for both photo and video and have been quite satisfied.

Details: I shoot mostly outdoor action (surfing) at distances of a few hundred feet.  I prefer to shoot at 1/500 (this lets me switch between stills and 60p video and maintain good quality in both).  I found the lens to be smooth when zooming (some users have said it is sticky; mine isn't).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow