"But at low ISO nothing can beat this camera." - CEO SIGMA

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,312
Like?
Re: At low or high ISO, there are quite a few.
In reply to enemjii, 7 months ago

enemjii wrote:

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I think it's actually quite difficult. First of all, you can't truly disregard the megapixel count entirely, because a 36 MP Bayer is clearly going to win over a 4.7 MP Foveon, and a 16 MP Foveon is more than likely going to win over a 16 MP Bayer. And it's certainly possible to pick subject material that favors one technology or the other. And finally, the test needs to be done by someone with expertise in subjective testing and without an axe to grind - and that seems especially hard.

Respectfully, I disagree that we cannot disregard megapixel count. That is for the bean counters who need key metrics to define success. A warm and fuzzy opinion does not cut it for them.

It is possible, and I would really appreciate if somebody who owns Sigma and other Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji brands to provide a side by side comparison.

And just as respectfully, I think that you're in theoretical waters well over your head, as evidenced by the OP you created 3 hours ago :

If the A65 camera is capable of shutter speeds of 1/4000, would it not be able to take 4000 frames per second?

Given that there would be overheads in processing the capture, cut it down to half. That still means 2000 frames per second.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53152883

No, not at all.

So why all the hoopla around 10 fps burst rate? I suspect this limitation is related to the data bus bandwidth from transferring the data from the sensor to the memory. Is that right?

Sure, but there are other barriers than just the bandwidth needed to copy sensor data to the camera's internal buffer memory. The camera eventually needs to write the contents of its buffer to a memory card, and that's where you get a much more immense bandwidth bottleneck. I gave examples in a reply over an hour ago (as others have too). You might want to read those replies.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
110New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow