Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,532Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you really expect...
In reply to olyflyer, 7 months ago

olyflyer wrote:

Maji wrote:

For the naysayers who thought Df has flopped and is for the hipsters only...

In response to how Df has performed, this is what Nikon executives had to say...

Very well, we’re actually back-ordered in some countries. Even in Japan, we had a tough time getting hold of enough Df samples to display here at CP+ for our visitors. If you order a Df now in Japan you’d have to wait around two months. So if you order now you’d probably end up paying 8% VAT!

The Df is proving very popular, especially among the younger generation - both male and female. Older people know that the Df looks like a traditional camera, but to young people the design is completely new and fresh.

Even internally there was some debate about how the concept of this camera should be positioned in the market but it turned out very well.

Source - http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3890662077/cp-2014-nikon-interview-our-cameras-need-to-evolve

By the way, I don't own a Df and I don't think it meets my needs or style. However, I am glad to see people enjoying their cameras.

...Nikon to say something else? It would mean a commercial suicide.

I realise you hadn't read my posts above, but as a publicly traded corporation they couldn't say sales were good when they were bad. That would put management and the company at risk of civil suits and regulatory action. If a companies sales are bad, they say that they haven't met expectations or refuse to comment. If they say what Nikon said in this interview it means they are out performing their internal sales expectations. You can assume those would factor in at least a modest return, so likely this is selling well and a relatively to majorly profitable camera for them.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow