Third Party Lenses are upping their game but not heir price.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,645Gear list
Like?
Re: Third Party Lenses are upping their game but not heir price.
In reply to Don Richardson, 5 months ago

Don Richardson wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

Christoph Stephan wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

My wife is a believer in the super-zoom concept, and elected to go with the Tamron, rather than the Nikkor, 18-200mm, after looking at the weight specs and prices, and doing some pixel-peeping on-line.

Is she not tempted by the Trmaron 18-270mm VC PZD?

The Nikkor was within our budget, but was heavier, and not notably better, if at all, optically.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

-- hide signature --

Yes, she was tempted by that one. I do not remember if it was the price, or that she simply felt 200mm was enough at the long end, that prompted her to choose the 18-200mm.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

It's a lucky man who has a wife that thinks a 200mm lens is long enough for her needs. Just don't get her interested in birding. We birders are always looking for more reach. We start with maybe the 70-200mm then add a 300mm them we decide on a 100-400 or maybe the Sigma 50-500mm now we have the Tamron 150-600mm which I have but I'm waiting for that 200-800mm or something like that. that we can all afford.

Then there are those lucky enough to have the Big Whites. Maybe one of these day?

-
DonR
http://donr.zenfolio.com/

Indeed, unless it is birds, 200mm is pretty satisfactory.

On the other hand, she misses out on the IS as well - the 18-200mm does not have stabilisation, the 18-270mm PZD has.

For me, that would be the major argument...

-- hide signature --
 Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow