Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sapralot
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Cannot decide between Fuji XT-1 and Sony A7
7 months ago

I currently own a Nikon D90, a nice camera overall but kinda dated with regard to image quality and high ISO performance which is why I contemplate buying a new camera for quite some time now,preferably with a full frame sensor. (I love to work with shallow depths of field.)

The D600/D610 looked like the obvious choice - until the Sony A7 came up, a lightweight, portable FF system. But after reading some reviews I came to realize that it is not without flaws (AF performance, shutter noise, handling, menu, etc.). Along came the Fuji XT-1, a pleasingly small, great looking retro camera with a phantastic EVF, but also with one major downside: it's an APS-C camera.

I'm well aware that it's not the camera but the lenses which account for a great system. But in this respect I have very moderate expectations, i. e. two lenses will suffice (to begin with), one for portraits and another one for everything else.

Both, Sony and Fuji, seem to have great lenses that would meet my basic requirements:

Fujifilm 35mm 1.4 (65x55mm, 187g, starting from EUR 570) vs. Sony 35 2.8 (62x37mm, 120g, starting from EUR 750)

Fujifilm 56mm 1.2 (73x70mm, 405g, starting from EUR 999) vs. Sony 55mm 1.8 (65x71mm, 281g, starting from EUR 950)

What do you think: how do these lenses compare in terms of quality?

And which other factors should I take into account when deciding between these two systems?

(Interestingly enough, the overall package from Sony seems to more compact and lighter than that from Fuji...)

Many thanks in advance,

Johannes

Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow