"But at low ISO nothing can beat this camera." - CEO SIGMA

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,398Gear list
Like?
Re: At low or high ISO, there are quite a few.
In reply to Ray Ritchie, 10 months ago
 it's pretty rare to find a Foveon image compared to the exact same image shot on a Bayer camera, as well.

It would be interesting to see some 16 MP Foveon images in black and white compared to the same images shot with a 16 MP Bayer sensor with no AA filter. I suspect the two would look much more similar than most of the color comparisons we see in these debates.

This is a good post, Ray, but I've always found the Imaging Resource raws to be where the theorizing stops and image quality gets down to brass tacks.

I would recommend to anyone wanting to demystify the tech to take the time to go to the Imaging Resource website, download some raws and make up your own mind which files look better deep down in the boiler room.  I will say that the unfiltered D7100 pixels look a bit less nervous than those from the the SD1. The excessive contrast and odd (incorrect) color balance of the SD1 don't really make me want to warm up to it either.  Blame it on Silkypix if you wish.

LR5, D7100 Camera Standard, defaults.

The "P" in Proportional Scale" is represented by 19 pixels in height by the D7100, 15 pixels by the SD1. There isn't any appreciable difference in the quality of the pixels that I can see zoomed in to the grid in Photoshop, regardless of the technology used to produce them. The faded "slop" pixels around the text equal 1/16th of the "O" using the SD1, 1/20th of the total width on the 7100.

Imaging Resource still life SD 1

D7100

SD 1

D7100

No color tweaking

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
110New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow