ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kcinesser
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Camera Suggestions for Beginner
10 months ago

Hey all. Got a few questions for ya.

A buddy of mine is thinking about getting his first camera and came to me with some advice about where to start. My first camera was a Nikon d3100, then recently bought an EM5, which to me is crazy good and I would suggest to just about anyone.

He's played around with the EM5 and says he's a big fan of the size/feel/look of the it compared to the d3100, so I was thinking he'd probably be interested in picking up m4/3. He was also impressed by the image quality, which is the most important aspect for him.

He, however is looking for something in the $500-600 range, which pretty much eliminates the EM5, and kind of limits him to entry level DSLRs or m4/3, which is why I've come here. Obviously the d3100 is outdated and I've never really used an entry level m4/3, so I'm not really sure at what standards the newer entry DSLRs are at, or any m4/3 that isn't an EM5.

Just glancing around at prices on Amazon, it looks like, for $500-600, he's limited to the Nikon 3200 (3300 for around $650) or the Canon T5 kits. For m4/3, I'm seeing the Oly EPL-5 or maybe a Panasonic GX1? I would suggest a m4/3, just because I enjoy the smaller more compact feel, but he's a image quality snob, and I've heard at that price range, DSLRs have an edge.

So I guess my question is: how do entry level m4/3 cameras compare to similarly priced DSRLs in performance? I'm also probably missing a few options, so suggestions would be appreciated. Like I said, I don't know a lot about entry level m4/3 cameras, so I may be underestimating them a bit. Which would you suggest?

Nikon D3100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow