Senior MemberPosts: 2,314Gear list
Like?
Re: High ISO is for dunderheads who simply don't know how to use a camera
In reply to Basalite, 6 months ago

Basalite wrote:

joejack951 wrote:

Basalite wrote:

joejack951 wrote:

Most photographers obsessed with high ISO are young and inexperienced.

Do old and experienced photographers only take photos of dead people?

You're showing your inexperience.

You got me. I am inexperienced at having one, and only one, option for getting quality pictures of people in low light. I have never been so constrained in all my time shooting with Nikon DSLRs (since 2009). Certainly, since purchasing a D3S about a year and half ago, I have never felt I didn't have at least a chance of getting a decent shot in any available light situation, moving subject or not.

Not everyone has such a requirement.

How is this a defense of your comments above? Are you saying that most of those young (and old) photographers obsessed with high ISO do not have the requirement of shooting humans in low light? I'd beg to differ.

Have you also heard if a thing called a tripod?

What does a tripod do for moving subjects? Even with a subject who is posing and trying to stay still, how much sharpness are you losing due to that person's small movements during your long exposure at lowish ISO? How many shots are you missing while you perfectly frame things with your tripod and prime lens? How contrived are all of your photos where you must tell everyone to freeze for 15-30 seconds (at least) while you frame and shoot?

If you may, please fill me in on how depressing it used to be when the only option you had was flash.

Not "depressing" at all. Great photographs at low ISOs were being produced long before you were born. Photography didn't with the digital age.

I am aware of that. I shot ISO 400 black & white film in college for a semester. I thought I got some pretty decent images and saw many more at that time that far exceeded my own. I didn't bother trying to shoot moving subjects indoors though. And a great part of every criticism of the original professional digital cameras came down to lack of quality at high ISO (worse than the high speed films of that time).

Considering that you've constrained yourself as such for this long, you must have TONS of experience with this.

I do, and its reflected in much better quality photographs.

And a distinct lack of live subjects in ambient lower light.

Just to be clear, I have plenty of experience using flash in low light situations either as a main light or fill light with low to medium ISO settings respectively, on and off camera, with and without modifiers, but I have never been so limited as you have as always been where high ISO shooting was not an option.

That you feel I am "so limited" only shows that your experience level in photography is not very high.

Perhaps it's due to the fact that the majority of the photography I do tends to be of people indoors. For those few landscape only shooters who lock their cameras in at base ISO, you might not seem limited. To me, you are, and it has nothing to do with experience as much as you want to keep throwing that term around.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
110New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow