Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Arn
Arn
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,483Gear list
Like?
Regarding rangefinder style
In reply to tecnoworld, 5 months ago

tecnoworld wrote:

And I also agree on lenses, pancakes in the first line. I'm constantly puzzled for the lack of a compact and high end rangefimder solution to go with those. That'd be a killer system imo.

I've been meaning to talk to you about this rangefinder "obsession" that you have... But I forgot.

You know, it's pretty hard to do a rangefinder with a good EVF. For example, take a look at recent cameras with a really good EVF: Fuji X-T1, Sony A7, Olympus E-M1. They all have hump. That's because you need some serious glass inside the EVF to magnify the image. That makes it impractical for a rangefinder style camera to have such and EVF. The hump on the left side of the camera might look a bit silly. Either that, or the camera would have to be made larger in height or width to accomodate the big EVF.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/16/cp-2014-fujifilm-stand-report/7

Personally, I like rangefinder style cameras as much as I do compact cameras with a hump, I don't prefer either one over the other. I checked out Fuji rangefinder style cameras (all except the X-T1, which was not available) and I much preferred the Sony A7 over the Fujis (and purchased the A7 after testing both options). Usability, viewfinder and user interface were much better for me with the Sony. I thought I wanted a Fuji, but I went for Sony I won't of course give up Samsung!

Another thing: I don't think I've ever seen a rangefinder style camera with a fully articulated LCD. I would never give away my NX20's fully articulated LCD for a rangefinder form with a tilt-only LCD.

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Taffy MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow