Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MPileggi
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
Wanting better than the 70-300mm VR lens
8 months ago

I’m starting to do bird photography. Currently I have the Nikon 70-300mm VR lens (and D7000 camera). It's pretty good, but been wanting a little more reach and even better IQ.  I started to look at the 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens, but it's really expensive and not a prime lens. I'm also looking at the Nikon 300mm f/4 ED-IF AF-S lens.

I'm wondering if the 300mm f/4 is a better quality that if I needed to crop, the photos would still be sharp.

And one other thought is that I would have the flexibility of 80-400, rather than a fixed 300mm focal length. I'm not sure how that will come into play in bird photography. These last several weeks I've been taking pictures of the birds in my back yard at the feeders and with me on the deck or inside the house (window open). So, in this case, I'm not moving in/out and am using at 300mm.

Thanks,

Monica

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow