So, what are the m4/3 diffraction limits?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,623Gear list
Like?
Re: So, what are the m4/3 diffraction limits?
In reply to Wesley Byrne, 8 months ago

s_grins wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

I have an E-PL5 and I shoot with three fast primes 95% of the time. I tend to keep my aperture at f/4.5 or wider. I figure that I'm close to the sweet spot of these primes, and I am (I think!) avoiding any loss of sharpness due to the effects diffraction.

My question: Given the 4/3 sensor size and 16Mp density, when do we start to be diffraction limited in our efforts to find best sharpness in m4/3? I believe I'm correct that sensor size and megapixel count (therefore, pixel density) are the considering factors, but I'm unaware of the calculations and perceptual considerations.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'll capture your response at 16 megapixels, f/4.5 to avoid any loss of detail

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

I'm very interested to know why do you relate diffraction to the sensor and pixels density.

Please educate me.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

Diffraction becomes apparent when airy disk becomes larger than pixel size, no?

If you look 1:1. Otherwise pixel pitch doesn't matter.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BAM!New
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow