"But at low ISO nothing can beat this camera." - CEO SIGMA

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: "But at low ISO nothing can beat this camera." - CEO SIGMA
In reply to dannybgoode, 5 months ago

dannybgoode wrote:

I may as well chuck my 2p in (not that it will sway people either way!).

I have just bought a Sigma DP2M as the price is now around the £340 mark in the UK (a shade over $500US).

Prices in America appear to be stable with only the DP1M dropping to around $600. Strange. I 'll wait until the DP3M drops to round off my collection of all three models. Currently it is still $900.

I had read all the horror stories about it - that kittens die whenever you use one, the battery doesn't even last a shot and shooting above 200ISO will open black holes but at that price it seemed worth a punt from the images I have seen from around the web and particularly the B&W work it can do.

Seriously in B&W only the Leica M Monochrom is better and even that is quesitonable.

The level of detail in a well exposed shot from a Merrill sensor is just out of this world. I find myself looking at 100% crops of random parts of photos just to see the detail. It really is out of this world.

Unfortunately you'll get certain individuals that swear they can't see a difference, usually followed by droning criticism of all things Sigma and Foveon. It shows their bias.

As for the ISO - I have never shot high ISO, never needed to. This is a personal view of course but if I am shooting people indoors or very low light I use flash and if I am shooting inanimate objects I use a tripod.

Yep, me too.

As for high ISO - this was shot at 1600 ISO handheld on a DP2M. Its not that awful...

That looks good for ISO 1600. What noise reduction did you use, SPP?

1600ISO DP2M

100% crop

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
110New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow