Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob38640
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Sony A7 lens weight
9 months ago

I have been pondering on whether to go for a Sony A7 or an Oly OMD EM1 for a while now. I guess all the pros and cons of each have been thoroughly discussed, so I won't go over that again. I've just checked out the nice looking but rather expensive new Sony FE 70-200F4G which has largely assisted me in clarifying my decision :

It's 175mm long, 80mm diametre and weighs 840 grammes, which (not surprisingly) is almost identical to the Nikon full frame 70-200F4. In comparison, the micro 4/3 Panasonic 35-100-2.8 weighs 360 grammes and is 100mm long (and it's cheaper).

My question is, what is the point of going to all the trouble of cramming a FF sensor and associated electronics into a small package, with many visible compromises such as limites burst speed, poor AF performance, shutter noise, poor quality dials and no built in flash, (to name but a few) and probably many more less visible, when optics are the same size and weight as on FF SLRs ? My guess is that an A7 with the 70-200 will feel pretty awful in the hand when compared with a normal SLR and the same lens, whereas the micro 4/3 system is homogeneous; lenses and cameras match into a high performance, versatile and compact system.

OK, FF performance cannot be imitated, but the EM1 feels better, handles better, has more practical options and even performs better in many areas than the A7. Add to this the fact that my back pack with half a dozen lenses will weigh several pounds less and my choice is made.

To Sonys advantage, my back pack would also be pretty light as there aren't half a dozen optics available yet, and even when they are, I probably won't be able to afford them!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow