Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,541
Like?
Re: EVF and Battery Drain
In reply to Cyril Catt, 8 months ago

Cyril Catt wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote: [...]

An OVF always has parallax problems,

But, isn't parallax primarily a problem with relatively close subjects, where the difference of a couple of inches between the OVF and lens DO make a difference?

At first, it would seem to be a minor thing, but in practice - when 35mm and 126 P&S cameras were the rule,with their OVFs,  it was very common to have group photos with the tops of the heads cut off.

and is totally unsuited to long, & even moderate zooms.

My first digicam, a Kodak DC290, had an OVF that zoomed to match the lens coverage - but it cost me about $1400 AUD in 1999. Even then, with only about 2MP, the ability to immediately check my shots on the LCD, to get 92 pics on a "tiny" CF card - without having to cram my pockets with extra 36 frame cassettes of different ISO colour and mono films - and the ability to process and crop pictures on my computer, won me over to digital.--

"Long & even moderate zooms" was what I said.

OVFs were seen on small-range zooms - I have taken several apart, and the zooming OVFs are quite a complex maze of little plastic prisms and such.

I, personally, don't recall an OVF on more than a 5X zoom.

IMHO, an OVF for a ZS series camera would cost as much as the camera and still have "issues" with parallax and other innacuracies of aim.

Cyril

[...]

-- hide signature --

--

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow