Help me decide: GX7 vs. E-M10 / Oly 25 1.8 vs. Pana 20 1.7 II / wide-angle + tele

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pheaps
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Help me decide: GX7 vs. E-M10 / Oly 25 1.8 vs. Pana 20 1.7 II / wide-angle + tele
9 months ago

Good Day to everybody on the forums,

I just signed up, because I'm seriously looking into buying into the micro four thirds system. My main reason is - as probably for most users - the size / weight advantage.

So far I'm using a Nikon D7000 on which my favorite (most used) lenses are the 35 1.8 and the 85 1.4. I use those lenses mainly for taking pictures of my two kids (1 and 3 yr. old). Besides those I have a Tokina 11-16 2.8, the 105 2.8 macro (mostly used for portraits) and Nikon 70-300 VR. Also I own an Olympus XZ-2 which is used primarily for hiking.

The Nikon system burdens me with it's weight. On the other hand, I often miss longer and shorter focal lengths and the possibility of shallow DOF on my Olympus XZ-2. Plus I just like the ergonomics / handling on my Nikon as I have rather large hands. So I'm looking for something "in the middle" / to replace my Nikon.

To make sure, I'd take the camera (and lenses!) with me, I was thinking of putting up a maximum weight restriction for my buying decision. 200gr per lens was the idea. I don't care quite as much about the cameras weight as long as it's lighter than my nikon. A good grip / handling is more important to me. And of course lenses should be small, while providing as little DOF as possible. I know those two are kind of playing against each other...

I am also not really concerned about image quality of the cameras as I am pretty certain, that any modern m43-camera provides sufficient image quality for me. In 90% of the cases I am absolutely happy with the results my XZ-2 produces.

To sum things up:

- focus on: size weight of the system as a whole, camera ergonomics and handling

- use cases: hiking, photos of my children (mostly in good light), portraits with shallow DOF

My idea was the following setup

- camera: Pana GX7 (like the idea of Touchpad-AF while looking through the EVF) or Oly E-M10 (like the design)

- Oly 9-18 for wide angle (7-14 seems to be to big/heavy)

- Pana 20 1.7 II (like the pancake size / weight) or Oly 25 1.8

- Oly 45 1.8 (75 1.8 would be a better equivalent to my 85 1.4, but seems to be too big to carry around every day)

- Pana 45-150 (small) or Oly 40-150

I had the chance to play with an E-M5 and a GX1 last year for a few days. But I didn't like the hold / grip on either. Both seemed to be too small. And I definitely want a built in viewfinder.

I will not buy anything before the end of march, so there is plenty of time to make a decision. My budget will be 2.000 - 2.500 EUR for camera + lenses. Living on the countryside in Germany, going to the local dealer and test things out, is unfortunately not an option for me.

Thanks for your help,

pheaps

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow