Help me decide: GX7 vs. E-M10 / Oly 25 1.8 vs. Pana 20 1.7 II / wide-angle + tele

Started Feb 19, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
New MemberPosts: 3
Help me decide: GX7 vs. E-M10 / Oly 25 1.8 vs. Pana 20 1.7 II / wide-angle + tele
Feb 19, 2014

Good Day to everybody on the forums,

I just signed up, because I'm seriously looking into buying into the micro four thirds system. My main reason is - as probably for most users - the size / weight advantage.

So far I'm using a Nikon D7000 on which my favorite (most used) lenses are the 35 1.8 and the 85 1.4. I use those lenses mainly for taking pictures of my two kids (1 and 3 yr. old). Besides those I have a Tokina 11-16 2.8, the 105 2.8 macro (mostly used for portraits) and Nikon 70-300 VR. Also I own an Olympus XZ-2 which is used primarily for hiking.

The Nikon system burdens me with it's weight. On the other hand, I often miss longer and shorter focal lengths and the possibility of shallow DOF on my Olympus XZ-2. Plus I just like the ergonomics / handling on my Nikon as I have rather large hands. So I'm looking for something "in the middle" / to replace my Nikon.

To make sure, I'd take the camera (and lenses!) with me, I was thinking of putting up a maximum weight restriction for my buying decision. 200gr per lens was the idea. I don't care quite as much about the cameras weight as long as it's lighter than my nikon. A good grip / handling is more important to me. And of course lenses should be small, while providing as little DOF as possible. I know those two are kind of playing against each other...

I am also not really concerned about image quality of the cameras as I am pretty certain, that any modern m43-camera provides sufficient image quality for me. In 90% of the cases I am absolutely happy with the results my XZ-2 produces.

To sum things up:

- focus on: size weight of the system as a whole, camera ergonomics and handling

- use cases: hiking, photos of my children (mostly in good light), portraits with shallow DOF

My idea was the following setup

- camera: Pana GX7 (like the idea of Touchpad-AF while looking through the EVF) or Oly E-M10 (like the design)

- Oly 9-18 for wide angle (7-14 seems to be to big/heavy)

- Pana 20 1.7 II (like the pancake size / weight) or Oly 25 1.8

- Oly 45 1.8 (75 1.8 would be a better equivalent to my 85 1.4, but seems to be too big to carry around every day)

- Pana 45-150 (small) or Oly 40-150

I had the chance to play with an E-M5 and a GX1 last year for a few days. But I didn't like the hold / grip on either. Both seemed to be too small. And I definitely want a built in viewfinder.

I will not buy anything before the end of march, so there is plenty of time to make a decision. My budget will be 2.000 - 2.500 EUR for camera + lenses. Living on the countryside in Germany, going to the local dealer and test things out, is unfortunately not an option for me.

Thanks for your help,

This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow