Why 'more or less stopped using ISO'?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,686Gear list
Like?
Re: Why 'more or less stopped using ISO'?
In reply to l_d_allan, 5 months ago

l_d_allan wrote:

I'm in the category of "not knowing that" ... about digital ISO being less than not very useful. Please clarify.

• Is this specifically about "iso-less sensors" like many Sony and Nikon cameras?
  • So for such cameras ... just leave ISO at the camera's base ISO (typically 100)?
  • Or does this also applies to Canon DSLR's (which I don't think can be described as iso-less)
  • Or because modern DSLR's have so little noise that use of Auto-ISO is appropriate?
  • So bobn2 and Iliah aren't concerned about what ISO is picked by Auto-ISO?

Boosting ISO usually decreases the dynamic range of the image, for all brands of cameras, although this is greatly influenced by the characteristics of your camera. Choosing exposure to preserve highlights, at base ISO, often leaves enough dynamic range in the shadows, which can be selectively brightened in post processing.

I don’t always use this process for two reasons:

• Laziness.
  • Inability, at the time of capture, to see precisely what tones have been preserved well. 
 Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow