Any news on the language front re: "enthusiast" and "pro-soomer" ???

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,386Gear list
Like?
Any news on the language front re: "enthusiast" and "pro-soomer" ???
10 months ago

No??

Just thought I should quickly check up on this one, since I never liked the terms above, tried of course to do a search here but couldn't for the love of God find pro-soomer entries here, if you get my drift?

Any other terms around that are less insulting these days or are we now stuck forever with those unbelievably bad terms??

Am I a bit uptight about all this? Well, I just figured that I spent a small fortune on a X-E2 plus 14/2.8, 23/1.4, 35/1.4 and 60/2.4 Macro, plus 3 PocketWizard MK III, a couple of studio flashes and some Yongnuo manual GN56 flashes plus umbrellas, lightstands etc. Capture One, Phosotshop, NIK etc software, but no matter how hard I squirm, I will never ever be more than an enthusiast, using pro-soomer gear.

Like I don't particular like the terms "my missus" or "my bi***" depending on the circles I frequent, I find that all those terms depicting the always-try-so-hard, but never quite succeeding photographer, regardless of the gear and the results are like no 3 on the list of least-liked un-words 2014 for me.

Selfee, by comparison is actually quite nice, funny innocent and likeable. BUT: who wants to be an enthoosiast, using pro-soomer (read: inferior by default!) gear?

Just needed to vent this, I am sure many others have posted similar equally unsuccessful attempts to air the room?

The Urban Dictionary sums this up quite nicely for me:

"A person who does something for a very long time but still sucks at it though he enjoys it very much. Thus, the term enthusiast is given to him as a consolation. A pejorative synonym of the term is "sucker". However, the pejorative synonym is not used commonly because an "enthusiast" may suffer lengthy bouts of depression and suicidal tendency since such pejorative labeling would make him reflect on his sad life. A urban legend states that if a person calls an enthusiast a sucker the enthusiast may turn to a gremlin at midnight devouring the person's soul.

He is a piano enthusiast. He has been playing for fifty years but can only play "twinkle, twinkle little star" albeit the numerous mistakes

Enthusiasts are unfortunate people.

If you do not want to be an enthusiast it is best to work smart not hard."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=enthusiast

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow