Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10... Locked

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
One_Oldman_4U
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Re: Around $1000 budget... Pana GX7 or OMD EM-10...
In reply to PINOYE90, 7 months ago

PINOYE90 wrote:

Currently have 7 yrs old Nikon D40 with kit lense 18-135mm...
The past year... i dont want to use it because its bulky/big/heavy...

Going from what camera you mentioned (Nikon D40 w/ 18-135), I presume that you want to keep the same focal range.

Now... I have a go signal from wife to get new smaller camera...

I am researching/comparing the 2 cameras... i am lost... its like choosing between blonde or brunette...

My observation based on reading this forum for 1 week... GX7 is better camera than EM10... However, i like the black color of the EM10 and it looks like EM10 is cheaper...

Both are good cameras. GX7 also comes in black

Is it better to get the camera with the kit lense? or its better to just get the buy the camera body and get the separate lense... What lense should i get??? I actually prefer the pancake style lense... because its not bulky...

I would use the camera for some family vacations and sometimes taking sport pics for my kids...

The kit lens that comes with both GX7 and the EM-10 are good and it's a good way to start. Taking sports pics of kids, you might want a longer reach lens like the Panasonic 45-150 or the Olympus 40-150, both are inexpensive. They're both good outdoors with bright light. Indoor sports, you need a faster lens but cost a bit more.

BUT if you wand a All-In-One lens, the new 14-150 ver II (Mega OIS) from Panasonic is an excellent lens but a little more expensive. Olympus also has a 14-150 but it's a bit slower. Both are good outdoors

Please note... i am not expert in photography... My old DSLR is 98% always in Auto...

Just keep visiting and researching this forum and you will learn a lot. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are a lot of good people here that are willing to help.

Hopefully... the new camera will make me intersted in learning about digital photography... ISO/Apperture/shutterspeed and all that stuff

Thanks!

My suggestion is get a camera with kit lens. Both are good cameras. If you can, go to a camera store and personally handle the camera to see which one is more comportable in your hands. This make a big difference on how you take better pictures. In the future, you can always sell the kit lens to offset the cost if you want to upgrade to a better one like the Pana 14-150 to cover from wide angle to tele photo.

Hope this helps.

Mabuhay!

BTW, I got the Panasonic GM1 with kit lens as an upgrade to my LX7. Great little camera.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
---
RiK
---
"It is not the equipment that makes a photograph but the person behind the equipment and it's not how sharp the images are but how they convey the message."
---
LX7, FZ200, Nikon 1 V1 with 10-100VR

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow