Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
dinoSnake
Contributing MemberPosts: 938
Like?
Re: "But at low ISO nothing can beat this camera." - CEO SIGMA
In reply to zodiacfml, 6 months ago

zodiacfml wrote:

dnoSnake wrote:

That is an awfully restrictive clause of operation. It makes me wonder where the CEO's head is: the test of the works is fighting for higher ISO hegemony and here is Sigma, pretty much saying that they are ignoring an entire market and seeking their own path. And then, year after year, their camera sales fall below their hopes and expectations (I'm sure).

Maybe it's time for the board of directors to look into some new upper management...if only modern corporate boards did more than simply cover their Old Boys Club paychecks.

You don't know much. Sigma today is what Canon and Nikon in the past. I don't even hope they get as big, all I want are their cameras that meets my expectations for image quality (high resolution is only a small part of IQ).

MF users get by CCD sensors....but look at the IQ.

The business decsion regarding the Quattro still makes absolutely no sense.

For example:

Here is a company that will introduce 3 cameras, all sharing the same body and undoubtedly sharing the same sensor as well as electronics, only so that 3 different focal length lenses can be offered.

Therefore, if the prospective owner desires more than the single focal length that they bought (or will buy)...they must buy an entire second camera, sensor and all.

Why not simply design a bayonet and have yourself (speaking from Sigma's perspective) a (very marketable) mirrorless ILC system for that growing market?

Sigma did almost all the work! They designed and created the body molds, designed and created the circuitry, integrated a one-of-a-kind sensor array, set up a battery system including dealing with recharging and power readouts, even took into account 3 different lenses into the design matrix...and then, what?! Did the market-limiting idea of selling the 3 different lenses attached to 3 completely separate bodies!

SIGMA, YOU WERE 95% THERE!! You could have made yourself a system out of your Quattro design, a system that prospective owners would be happy to invest in under the assumption that they could grow in the future...

but no. No, you just didn't go there, did you? Instead you are pushing 3 separate cameras on customers. In an age of Sony A7's, Olympus E-P5's and E-M1's, Panasonic GX7's, Fuji X-Pro1 and the likes of Nikon 1's / Samsung NX / Canon EOS-M, you go and make three separate fixed-lens cameras in a market that is embracing the concept of interchangeable mirrorless designs.

Wow. Just...wow. Talk about Back to the Future! Sigma certainly wasn't looking at the market around them when they finalized the design(s) on this product, that's for sure!! Sigma was this close to having an ILC system all their own, with the unique advantages of the Foveon sensor that is a HUGE selling point all their own, and what do they do? NOTHING! They design a series of cameras as if it is still 2008!

As Maxwell Smart says, "Missed it by THAT much"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
110New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow