Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,343Gear list
Like?
G1X or G1Xm2 Flash questions
8 months ago

I am highly considering the G1XM2 with some specific shots in mind.  What I would like to do use the G1Xm2 with wireless "TTL" triggers and two speedlites for group portraits outdoors with a nice landscape background.  Preferably I would like to use these; Set of two Yongnuo TTL wireless triggers for Canon and these; Yongnuo YN-565 EX TTL because I will be hiking deep into the woods, but I could also use Pocket Wizards, or Radio Poppers with Canon 580EX 2's.

My questions are;

1. I know the G1Xm2 sync speed is 1/4000th but will I be able to control the external flashes with full power (not the reduced HSS High Speed Sync pulses) with TTL from the camera?

2. Or is the external flash control limited?  I know I can use manual, but TTL just makes things easier and thats what I want to do.

3. Have any of you done this type of thing with the G1X?  I would like hear your experiences with the on board flash and External Flashes with TTL.  I have done this type of shot with my Canon T1i in the past with a 580 EXII and TTL cable but the HSS mode really made the flash power weak and not enough for a nice group shot.  It works fine for one person or a couple, but not a group.

I think if I could get the full power power from the flash I could use a smaller aperture and get a decent amount of DOF for the background landscape.

I can do this with my Ricoh GR but there are no wireless TTL triggers for it so I can use a single TTL flash with a chord (don't know how to hook up two flashes with a TTL chord) or I could use manual flash triggered with "NON" TTL wireless triggers.

Thanks for your replies.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow