Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 851Gear list
Like?
Re: What advantage?
In reply to Krich13, 7 months ago

Krich13 wrote:

Dave Sanders wrote:

amtberg wrote:

Robin says that the 25/1.8 is wider than the 25/1.4, but if you notice, in most of the bokeh comparison pics the framing is actually tighter in the 25/1.8 shot, meaning that he didn't shoot from the same position and he focused closer with the Olympus lens. That can make a pretty substantial difference for background bokeh.

So you're saying any photographer with even a modicum of skill can overcome the difference?

To the same degree as a difference between f/1.4 and f/1.8 lenses in their 50 or 85 mm FF flavor could be overcome. There are scenarios where the difference can be overcome, some scenarios (like landscapes stopped down) where it is not important at all, and yet some where the difference is critical -- and for those few photographers pay x2-x3 the price for this extra 2/3-rds of a stop.

Generally, they are usually paying for speed or other design considerations, not DOF.

As a matter of fact, I think these 2/3-rds of a stop are more critical in m43 world than they are in FF world. That is, the scenarios where you need extra subject isolation are far more often: with FF the DOF becomes so thin at these apertures, that you stop down just to "get both eyes in focus".

Agreed that FF DOF is too thin for most portrait applications. My working aperture in the studio is f/8 for portraits. However, I still don't think that 2/3 of a stop at 25mm are meaningful. Any competent photographer can deal with minor difference.

Not so with m43, where you will find yourself shooting wide open (FF equivalent of f/2.8 and f/3.6 respectively) all the time.

In the FF world, f/2.8 and f/3.6 is also a meaningless difference.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MIJNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow