Voigtlander Bessa-T vs R3M vs Leica CL and Leica Summicron 40mm f2 vs Minolta Rokkor-M 40mm f2

Started Feb 19, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ty Madey
New MemberPosts: 13
Voigtlander Bessa-T vs R3M vs Leica CL and Leica Summicron 40mm f2 vs Minolta Rokkor-M 40mm f2
Feb 19, 2014

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I am also looking at getting into rangefinder photography. I come from a dslr background (I own a D600) and I really think using a full manual film rangefinder could be a lot more enjoyable for what I want out of my photography. I do a lot of research on everything (I am one of those persons who spends most of my free time watching youtube videos or reading articles about camera gear) so I usually have a pretty solid idea of what I want. However, I am struggling finding opinions on a big question I have for myself right now: what starting kit to get for rangefinder photography?

I have a small budget and want a camera and lens for under $1,000 which is another reason I am going film (I will also be getting the kit used from eBay).

For the camera choice, I have narrowed down 3 options: The Voigtlander Bessa R3M, the Voigtlander Bessa-T, and the Leica CL.

I want to use a 40mm lens and so my choice is between the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 Nokton vs the Leica Summicron f/2 vs the Minolta Rokkor-M version.

I have found a good amount of opinions on the lenses, so this isn't as big of a concern. If I can get a good price on the Leica I will get that because I like its character, but I do have one important question: How does the Minolta Rokkor compare to the Summicron?

On to the cameras, I will share with you my thoughts on each choice:

Bessa R3M: pros: Most modern option, center- weighted metering, great frameline choices, 1:1 viewfinder for accurate focusing. cons: most expensive of the three choices which will force me to buy the Nokton which is my second choice lens.

Bessa-T: pros: Cheapest option (so I could likely get the 'Cron), large rangefinder base length for accurate focusing. cons: external viewfinder (this is mostly a con because of cost factor - buying multiple viewfinders could make this more expensive than another option in the end, but I am not opposed to this style of shooting).

Leica CL: pros: easy to find these with the Leica Summicron for a good deal, Leica brand name (: cons: very small rangefinder base length which makes me a little worried, and I have read a lot about the meters becoming faulty (I am not comfortable about external metering).

So what I am basically struggling with is wanting to jump on a good CL + Summicron deal, but the CL's shortcomings are pretty alarming. So the other option is potentially saving money with the Bessa-T otherwise just accepting Voigtlander and getting an R3M with a 1.4. I am also curious about the Mionlta version of the Summicron in comparison (seems pretty similar from what I can read, but I am mostly wondering about the mechanical quality differences if any).

Thanks, and sorry for the long post. I am very new to this but have done as much research to prepare myself and have decided to turn to your help!

This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow