Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,662Gear list
Like?
Re: 10-18mm e mount
In reply to Richt2000, 6 months ago

Richt2000 wrote:

seachicken2000 wrote:

I'd never thought of it like that... this would be an amazingly useful lens for me on an A7r.

In APS-C crop mode, it's a 24-52.5mm f/4 standard zoom, and since it's a FF lens it should be consistently sharp across the frame. 15.5 M pixels will do just fine for a travel zoom, which is what it would be for me.

Flip the camera into full frame mode, and it's an ultrawide zoom lens, and here I'd want to use the full resolution of the sensor.

You may as well shoot at 36mp all the time and then just crop afterwards to give you more choice later, although as a compositional tool, this picture taking method works - just like digital zoom on compact cameras.

Yes, I really wish Sony (or an app developer) would implement a software zoom for the A7r that would work with RAW, just to aid composition. The camera has pixels to spare, and being able to zoom something like the 55mm f/1.8 continuously from standard to short portrait focal lengths, would be great.

What you'd effectively have (in FF terms) is a 55-85mm f/1.8-2.8 zoom lens with prime lens sharpness and rendering.

I'd settle for cropped RAWs (like we have in APS-C crop mode now), or better still the full resolution RAW (perhaps with the crop embedded in the metadata), or ideally both.

the 10-18 is a very usable 13-16mm Ultra Wide angle at 36mp full frame with very good IQ at 14mm.

If you want to be really perfectionist about IQ, you can always shoot in FF mode and crop the extreme corners off to end up with a 28-30mp image, the lens at 14mm will give you a Field of view of 15-16mm and be pretty much on par with Canon's 16-35ii in the corners

This is also very interesting as I own the 10-18mm, and use it a lot. I know it can cover the full frame quite well, but I wouldn't have expected much in the way of corner sharpness. Looking forward to giving it a go!

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow