Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
racollins
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
What's your favorite "older" PowerShot?
5 months ago

In light of all of the talk about the new PowerShots recently announced and the excitement surrounding them, I thought it would be fun to hear what some of you consider your favorite older PowerShots to be. I have a couple. To start with, the A710IS is one of my all-time favorite PowerShots. I bought one new back in the late Fall of 2006 and was really impressed with the pics I took with it. Prior to buying it I had used a G5 which was a really cool camera to use, but all of the images from it were filled with noise, which seemed to become even more visible when making 8x10 prints. I was impressed at the performance of the A710IS at ISO 400 and even 800 and especially impressed with its performance in bright light outside. Unfortunately that period of time was one in which I was more interested in having the 'latest and greatest' and didn't really give the A710IS a long enough time to really get to learn it and appreciate it fully.

Fast forward to this past Christmas...my sister was the recipient of my A710IS when I 'upgraded' to the A720IS, and she still has and uses that A710IS. During the holidays she showed pictures of her trip to Guatemala and I was blown away by the beautiful colors and sharpness of all of the pictures. I had given her an SX160 IS to replace the aging 710 (she prefers cameras that take AA batteries since she travels internationally so often, so the 160 was a decent choice) but after looking at the shots she got with her 710, I began to wonder if the SX160 IS could match the old 710. I was so impressed that I found an A710IS for myself on Ebay, and have vowed to maximize its potential.

The other PowerShot that I think is really cool is the PowerShot S80, an S-series camera with a large sensor and a viewfinder! It's a nicely designed camera that's pretty compact (for its time) and has a very sharp lens. It's a lot of fun to play with.

So, what are your favorite older PowerShots, and which one would you recommend to others? I'm looking forward to your responses...

Andy

racollins's gear list:racollins's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
Canon PowerShot SX170 IS Nikon Coolpix S80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
G2New
A610New
G10New
G10New
A650New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow