Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thomasw333
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
Like?
Can you manual focus with no EVF?
9 months ago

I have recently gotten the 17MM f1.8, and while manual focus sounds good, I have the EPM2, and find that manual focus does not work very well, with the back lcd. Is anyone really using manual focus without an EVF? And I do not mean you have manually focused once, I mean is anyone finding themselves using manual focus and the rear LDC on a consistent basis.

I am looking forward to getting the OMD EM5 Mark 2. While I really like the look of the Pen style, I now want and EVF. And I would rather it be integrated than something I clip on. I also would like the weather-resistance. And of course a better sensor than the one in the EPM2. Also I want 1/8000th shutter speed, iso low or iso 100, less squishy buttons, I am hoping the EM5 ii has these features. I am not in a hurry to upgrade so I will gladly wait for it. Or I might like the Pen 6, but I would hope they get rid of the shutter shock issue. I also want the manual controls that come with the OMD dual wheels. I know the Pen 5 has dual wheels, so I am also not discounting getting the EP6. I like the flat shape of the PEN 5 and EM5, I would not get an EM1, too bulky for me with the added grip. I do not need a grip I just shoot for myself, for fun, for vacation memories.

I think getting a new body every two years is reasonable. I do not understand why people jumped from the EM5 to the EM1, to me there is not enough improvement. I would be happy for Olympus to only refresh the OMD cameras every 2 years, that way the new camera is a really upgrade.

This post covered two issues, so jump in on what you would like, whether it is about how you manual focus, or what you are hoping/waiting for in new Olympus cameras.

-- hide signature --

Lets promote calm rational arguments.

thomasw333's gear list:thomasw333's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Canon EOS 100D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow