ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joemod
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Samyang 8mm 1:3.5 UMC lens on Sony A77
7 months ago

Hi folks,

I have been following various threads on the Forum relating to the use of Samyang 8mm Fisheye on various Sony A mount cameras. I decided to bite the bullet and buy one and it arrived yesterday for my A77.

Initially, I was at a loss as to how to set it up - I was receiving the customise lens message and after a bit of searching found on the forum the requirement to enable "Release w/o Lens" in the menu. That was easily sorted and I was at least able to see through the lens.

I am aware the lens is fully manual - no autofocus but is there a shooting mode that is best used with this lens - in M - the Steadyshot facility is not active although it is in S.

Or how is the A77 best set up to reap the rewards of this quirky piece of glass.

Another query is this - when using my Sony 1650 and other lens I have the ability to and do use focus peaking for manual focussing. This is activated by pressing the AF/MF button as you all know. With the Samyang 8mm attached the image on the rear LCD and EVF actually shows a permanent "focus peaking" highlight - as if the AF/MF button was active permanently - is this normal? Doesn't affect the image - just a thought should it be showing leading edges in my chosen highlight colour all the time.

Another question is the 3 screw adjustment - is this necessary on all of these lens to get the best sharpness?

Shooting at F8 with a shooting speed to compensate, I find the fore to middle ground is sharp but a lost of definition and sharpness further into the scene when compared to my other lens.

Looking forward to really putting it to the test at the weekend but look forward to other users thoughts on how to get the best out of this lens.

Kind regards,

Joe

Joemod's gear list:Joemod's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow